Saturday 31 July 2010

July, You Didn't Let Us Down. Grumpy's Alternative News.

What a month, where do we begin! Money, what to do with it. One of Elvis's pianos is up for sale, they think it might fetch £1,000,000. Plus Roy Roger's horse, Trigger (stuffed of course) is to be auctioned, they think it might fetch up to £133, 000 ($200,000). You're too late for the ashes of the cat featured in the Coronation Street titles, they fetched £800 at a Gloucestershire auctioneers. Talking of ashes, did you notice they're creating a reef in the English Channel made from concrete and reef balls filled with cremated remains. (Ringstead Bay, Dorset.) But I digress, they've not had the Chatsworth House contents auction yet (this autumn. 20,000 items, 1,400 lots.) There's something for everyone: marble chimneypiece £300,000, down to teacups and saucers, £20-£600 plus the Duchess's 'record changer and wireless', circa 1935, £30-50. (All prices are estimates.)
Alternatively you might fancy the new flying car, the Terrafugia Transition, priced £128,000. Money can't buy Paul the octopus who correctly predicted World Cup results but if you're really loaded you could go for that most exclusive of internet domain names, Sex.com. (It fetched $12million when last sold in 2006.) The only person I can think of who could afford that sort of money is Wayne Rooney. He won a court case recently that will make him richer than ever. But it didn't stop him being named as the ugliest footballer on earth by Beautifulpeople.com. Money can't buy everything, Wayne!
Enough of money. What made me laugh, or cry for that matter. The ice-cream van for dogs in Regent's Park is brilliant. 'Canine cookie crunch' indeed. I hope the van, which is called K99 and plays the Scooby Doo theme does well. The burglar from Blackburn who left behind his false teeth when he had a sandwich at the scene of crime was not the sharpest. Nominally brighter than the seventy six year old retired Army major who hurt his back 'tombstoning' at Durdle Door. Couldn't he find something safer with which to occupy himself. Any suggestions? He'd have been better off 'tweeting' like Ivy Bean who died recently, aged 104 and acknowledged as the oldest person on Twitter. Mind you, her 'tweets' weren't exactly ground-breaking. 'Had a visit from our sandra yesterday she bought some parkin which we had with our cuppa.' Rest in peace, Ivy.
There were things in the month that made me wonder. The property tycoon who attacked a helicopter, hitting it and trying to open the pilot's door because it blew dust over his Land Rover lacked self control. Even more serious was the maniac who knifed two people because they hit his car with a discarded lollipop. He was deservedly locked up. Frightening that such people exist. Likewise the idiots in Russia who hoisted a donkey into the air by parachute as a publicity stunt ought to have had a dose of their own medicine. Fortunately such individuals are in the minority.
Just a couple or so items in poor taste. I know some of you love them! Can you remember Keith Chegwin presenting a game show whilst naked. I thought of him when I read someone has been putting up photographs of his private parts (with a pink bow tied round!) around Lewes. No, I am NOT suggesting it is Keith Chegwin! The pictures are being examined for fingerprints. Honestly! There is so, so much more I could say but I mustn't! And evidently 'a big budget' p0rn movie was shot in a London hospital. They won't say which one but evidently the hospital made a 'substantial income'. Having recently spent a week in hospital I'm totally jealous. I bet it made the time go a lot quicker!
I will leave you with a snippet from Derby, my home town. We have a university, just like Oxford and Cambridge. But no studies of comparable depth or importance. Derby University is offering a one year diploma course in artisan food, showing amongst other things how to bake bread and make cheese and pickle. One module even shows how to brew ale. Shakespearean studies, who needs 'em!

13 comments:

the fly in the web said...

I think I might enroll to get away from brick hard baguettes...

Sueann said...

Sign me up!!
Hugs
SueAnn

Valerie said...

Thanks for putting a smile on my face on this dreary Sunday morning... weatherwise, that is. Reading about that poor donkey made me recall the flying pigs in Australia... yes, the pigs go or are taken to a high level then they go through chute into a large tub of water. It is said that they enjoy the experience! I did have photographs but I was so sickened I believe I destroyed them.
Ooo Ken, you forgot to mention that Winston Churchill's gold dentures were being auctioned..........

Lakeland Jo said...

great fun this post Ken, a good read

Expat mum said...

Ashes of the Corrie cat. What's that saying - "There's one born every minute"? I'll say.

Hadriana's Treasures said...

I certainly remember Keith Chegwin but not naked! I saw him interviewing my long term boyfriend to be on Swapshop. Memories. Aah!

Grumpy Old Ken said...

fly in the web
Do you mean YOUR baguettes!

Grumpy Old Ken said...

slommler
Will do!

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Valerie
And I notice some fool is STILL sending mules? off a height into water. There are some sad fools about.

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Nota Bene
Is it the army bit that affects the brain or it it sheer age.

Grumpy Old Ken said...

lakeland Jo
Thanks Jo, glad to be of service!

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Expat Mum
Too right there are!

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Hadriana's Treasures
Good lord, what a cracking memory!