Tuesday 26 February 2013

'It's Nice to be Nice.'


 The purpose of life is to contribute in some way to making things better.
 Robert F Kennedy

    I don't normally 'do' the news. Of any case things can appear gloomy at times. Triple credit ratings. (Whatever that means); an horrific shooting in South Africa; lecherous politicians and warped men of the cloth; freezing cold weather and no real sign of spring. But just as you feel like giving up on the world you meet someone who as they say 'makes a difference'.
    Ursula, a friend is eighty five. She has had a hard life. She was a refugee from Eastern Europe in WW2, is now widowed, housebound and is in poor health. She finds modern television technology, (like myself) difficult, and has an on going problem of long standing. A problem at least in part centering around an incorrect remote control  and an outdated system.
    Enter Peter Napier, a Sky system salesman. I met Peter 'peddling his wares', so to speak in a nondescript shopping centre in Burton on Trent. I explained Ursula's problems to him. He was obliged to do nothing but the next fifteen minutes were remarkable. Peter made three or four successive phone calls. Eventually a colleague was located in possession of the correct remote for the job. Which was delivered to me an hour or so later by another equally obliging 'Skyman'. Which was delivered to Ursula by myself and wife a further hour later, (no charge made for the remote.) (And a further appointment fixed up for Wednesday, via phone by yet another obliging 'Skyman' via my equally obliging wife who understands these things!) We had, by the way, gone out initially in the van to locate some logs for our wood burner; we were unsuccessful! All this on a Saturday afternoon.
     Peter was brilliant. (and his various colleagues.) How marvellous that such people exist. I met his wife and child briefly. I remarked what a great guy he was. And her reply. 'That's why I love him.' Lucky wife, lucky child, lucky Sky. I personally do not have Sky TV. I do not know if Sky have an 'employee of the month' award system. If they don't, they should. No doubt who deserves it for February!
    An innocuous event. But it does not necessarily take great events to show us life can be meaningful and worth living. There is also a serious side to this little post. Look how many were touched by one man's generosity of spirit; how much more pleasant the world can be at times. Why are some people so good; others so indifferent. Are good people rewarded? Or is the 'feelgood' factor the reward in itself? Be nice to each other. Its not rocket science, Sometimes we need a wee reminder, yes we CAN make a difference if we try.
The older I get, the less I know. What I do know is we need a few more Peter Napiers in the world. 

Never underestimate the difference you can make in the lives of others. Step forward, reach out and help. This week reach to someone who might need a lift.
Pablo Valle




13 comments:

Debbie said...

Nicely said!

Star said...

I could swear that Marcus Aurelius noted to himself, in his "Meditations", something along the lines of 'do good, not with an eye to any reward, but just because it is right'...but I can't find the citation, right now. Thanks, anyway, for sending me back to one of my favorite books!

Valerie said...

With everything that's going on in the world, it did my heart good to read that. Thanks for sharing it, Ken.

Lauren said...

That's my uncle!! He really is that fantastic all the time, can't do enough for anyone and always brings a smile to everyone he meets :)

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Lauren
Is he really your uncle? Very unusual blog by the way!

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Star
I have no doubt you are right.Very little in the world is new. But as long as others inspire us for good not evil.

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Valerie
Hi Thanks, I wonder if we will ever inspire others. maybe in a teeny weeny way!

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Debbie
Hi
Thanks
Nice photos on blog Remember the days waiting for films to be developed!

Lauren said...

He really is, and he's a huge hit with all mine and my sister's friends too, such a funny, friendly bloke :) my auntie (Pete's wife) sent me the link to your article and we're very proud of him for it (yes my blog is incredibly weird, but thanks for being polite haha)

Nota Bene said...

That's lovely...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Human Growth Hormone Houston said...

I like the ѵaluablе іnfoгmаtion уou prονіde in youг articles. I'll bookmark your blog and check again here frequently.