Sunday 7 February 2010

An Intellectual Offering, or Merely Grumpy Lowering the Tone.

I've never fully read Samuel Pepys Diaries so I'm not sure how intellectual they are. When I re-read my 1985 diary I am amazed as to what events I diligently recorded. Of world shattering importance they are not, but, what the heck, they amuse me!
I had an accident early in that year, seriously curtailing my activities. It also entailed being 'on the club'. I already suffered from the effects of a motorcycle accident in 1959 so I spent four weeks alternating between physiotherapy and various dinnertime visits to pubs. I know, I know, terrible but I'm older and wiser now. Go on then, older!. The following diary extract gives food for thought.

Diary 5th March 1985
I receive the message that the Cavendish, my 'watering hole' for much of last month, no longer allows dogs in the lounge. I am surprised as this was not the case last month. the reason, it transpires is as follows.
The Cavendish, not the most salubrious of pubs has been attempting to 'move upmarket' by selling sandwiches etc at dinnertimes. Ron and friend, two characters not renowned for their sartorial elegance, frequent the pub for hours on end, dinnertime and evening, complete with a large friendly Staffordshire bull terrier. One dinnertime, in the middle of 'sandwiches' someone broke wind, silently but disgustingly effective; sandwiches were discarded. The culprit, it was decided, was Sam, the bull terrier. He was unceremoniously 'outed', a notice now proclaims 'No Dogs Admitted.' Dogs can't talk, but even Sam knows he was not guilty. Old Ron, not unaturally, is saying nothing!

Who said they did not wish to know that!



24 comments:

Happy Frog and I said...

Poor Sam! From what I remember of Pepys diaries, some of the things he recorded were either very day to day stuff in great detail incluing getting very, very drunk. Or a bit naughty like having affairs and taking bribes while he was working for the Admirality. He also recorded burying his cheese in his garden as the Great Fire of London burned. I think Mr. Pepys would have approved of your diary.

Sueann said...

Somehow I think I missed this scene! LOL!!
Hugs
SueAnn

the fly in the web said...

Very Pepysian. Thank you, I laughed loudly enough to wake the dog.

Molly Potter said...

Brilliant snippet! My 1985 diary entries were never so well written and yours by comparison, has considerably more 'content'!

Chiswick Plumber said...

Great recollection, always blame the dog haha, as for the clip, I must have seen that dozens of times and it never fails to crease me up.

Midlife Roadtripper said...

I'd never seen my father laugh so hard as he did when he saw this scene in Blazing Saddles. What is it about bodily functions that make the humor universal.

Anonymous said...

Grumpy may be, but p.d.f. too. Thank you for your comment - needless to say I now need to google Walter Brennens!

the fly in the web said...

I don't know why, but I can't get your 'famous sayings' up.

Grumpy Old Ken said...

fly in the web
Hi
Its not you! Its a future blog that appeared for a few seconds by mistake! My technical skills, zilch.

the fly in the web said...

Yes, likewise...I depend on Ayak on Turkish Delight...but she's not responsible for my cock ups.

A Heron's View said...

When you say 'that you are older and wiser' does that mean you have given up falling off motorcycles, riding them or going to the Pub :-) ?

Akelamalu said...

The poor dog! Mind you I think everyone blames the dog don't they? LOL

How you doing with the book?

VioletSky said...

very funny!
Our National newspaper posts a daily Pepy's Diary entry and I have a website dedicated to it bookmarked. The entries aren't nearly as interesting as the contributing commenters dissecting every word he wrote!

Diney said...

Yes - our cocker spaniel is called Sam and he tends to get the blame quite often! Hope you manage to get an agent for your 60,000 - it ain't easy! I'll follow you with interest too.

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Happy Frog
Hi
I must get a copy of Pepys, you have decided me!

Grumpy Old Ken said...

slommler
Hi
Not a very delicate scene for a young lady.

Grumpy Old Ken said...

fly in the web
Hi
Glad you liked it1

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Molly
Hi
Ionly did it once but I'm glad I did!

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Midlife Jobhunter
Hi
Glad you liked it!

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Lizzie
Hi
Walter Brennan Try utube, 'Old Rivers' Probably suitable for 'oldies' only!

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Herons View
Hi
Good point! Still go to the pub, drink flat Bass far too often!

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Akelamalu
Hi Poor old dog!
Thanks for help. Will email.

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Violetsky
Hi
Interesting re Pepys and your paper. Would you believe, i dont really know what a bookmark is or how it works!

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Diney
Hi

sam is a popular name for dogs. Am a way off agents yet but one day, hopefully! Will watch yours first!